Two ladders, 4.00 m and 3.00 m long, are hinged at point A and tied together by a horizontal rope 0.90 m above the floor. The ladders weight 480 N and 360 N respectively, and the center of gravity of each is at its center. Assume that the floor is freshly waxed and frictionless.
- a) Find the upward force at the bottom of each ladder.
- b) Find the tension in the rope.
- c) Find the magnitude of the force one ladder exerts on the other at point A.
- d) If an 800 N painter stands at point A, find the tension in the horizontal rope.
2. Relevant equations
3. The attempt at a solution
For part a I attempted to do net torque, but I cannot figure how to account for all of them. The book says that the answer for part a is 391 for the left ladder (4m one) and 449 for the right ladder (3m one).