- Effects of climate change to further degrade fisheries resources: UBC researchers
- Putting a new spin on computing
- ‘Sensing skin’ could monitor the health of concrete infrastructure continually and inexpensively
- Weizmann Institute Observatory captures images of a new supernova
- Physicists hit on mathematical description of superfluid dynamics
At PV Expo 2011, OS exhibited a retractable solar power system, the GSR-110B.
This product was achieved by using retractable technology developed by OS for projector screens, and flexible amorphous solar cells from Fuji Electric Systems. It’s intended to power communication equipment in an emergency.
The unit weighs just 3 kg, so it can be carried easily and set up right away. Apart from emergencies, it can be used as a power source for leisure activities, such as camping, and for mobile equipment at events.
The sheet operates smoothly; it can be pulled out, retracted, and stopped like a roller blind.
This mobile solar unit started shipping in January 2011. It’s priced around 60,000 yen, and OS plans to sell 10,000 units in the first year.