Desktop and Network Support Engineer Location: Heidelberg, Germany Staff Category: Staff Member Contract Duration: 3 years Grading: 6, 7 or 8, depending on experience and qualifications Closing Date: 11 September 2011 Reference number: HD_00119 Job Description The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany) and the outstations are in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy). We are looking for a desktop and network support engineer to join the IT Services team at EMBL Heidelberg. The team maintains and develops the state-of-the-art IT infrastructure for the laboratory and is responsible for providing high quality IT support to the users at EMBL Heidelberg.
As a member of the team the responsibilities of this position include:
- Providing excellent desktop computing and networking support to our users. The current environment consists of 1000+ MacOS, Windows, Linux and iOS computers and devices as well as networking and security components from the market leading vendors
- Providing effective troubleshooting for desktop software, hardware, network and security related issues
- Providing a knowledgeable, friendly and reliable IT helpdesk to our users
- Tracking of support requests to assure a high quality of service and end user satisfaction
- Contributing in continuous improvement of the infrastructure as well as identifying areas to standardize and to automate IT support processes
To ensure a reliable support for the EMBL IT infrastructure this position includes occasional weekend duties which will be compensated accordingly. The successful candidate will join the IT Services Desktop Support team and will report to the Manager Desktop Support.
Qualifications and Experience The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of work experience in a professional IT support organization. As well as being a technical expert in managing current desktop and mobile operating systems, (s)he will have a solid knowledge of current standard desktop software packages and will be experienced in automating systems and software installations. In this area an extensive experience in supporting MacOS and iOS devices will be essential.
The candidate should also be familiar with enterprise networking and security technologies and the management of routing, switching, VPN, firewalling and wireless infrastructures. Background in different server technologies would be beneficial. Good communication and English language skills are required and a basic knowledge of German would be advantageous. A service-oriented attitude, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well and professionally under pressure are essential. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently as well as working as part of a team. Application Instructions Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs Additional Information EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.